Renewal SA has a powerful role in protecting the environment and creating a more sustainable, liveable and climate-resilient society.
Guided by the South Australian Government's Climate Change Action Plan we are committed to helping the state achieve net zero carbon emissions by 2050 through more sustainable building practices and energy-efficient design.
The built environment accounts for 39% of global annual carbon emissions presenting a significant opportunity to make deep cuts in greenhouse gas emissions. As demand for housing grows to cater for increasing populations, so grows the challenge to ensure the product we deliver touches more lightly on our planet.
Sustainable building practices are not only highly valued by the market but increasingly expected, and soon will become the industry norm, integrated into planning, implementation and delivery stages of future projects. By acting proactively and embracing innovation, Renewal SA is dedicated to creating a greener future and ensuring a sustainable legacy.
Our team of specialists in land, water, biodiversity, air and noise carries out preliminary site investigations, environmental site assessment, ongoing groundwater monitoring, site audits, remedial works and environmental due diligence on our projects. They provide guidance and direction on all environmental matters associated with the acquisition, development, management and divestment of land.
In addition to procurement and management of a wide range of specialist environmental services, we deliver:
- project management for the remediation for all Renewal SA projects including Bowden, Lot Fourteen and Tonsley
- coordination and management of the environmental obligations in regards to disposal and acquisition of land
- ensuring compliance with Renewal SA policies and procedures to maintain compliance with the Environment Protection Act 1993 and other relevant Acts with environmental components
- project management for Renewal SA’s ongoing environmental commitments, such as groundwater monitoring
- advice to other government departments and agencies as required
- oversees the Soil Bank, a soil recycling facility owned and run by Renewal SA to reduce soil sent to landfill from government projects in SA, by reusing it on government sites that require fill. Soil Bank receives soil from local, state and federal government projects and/or sites.
Other things we do include:
- ensuring that sites are suitable for the proposed end use through the management of Site Contamination Auditors in accordance with the Environment Protection Act 1993
- providing guidance on the suitability of fill on all Renewal SA sites
- advising planners on environmental issues impacting rezoning and development applications
- liaising with the Environmental Protection Authority
- estimating costs for remediation of development sites
- expert environmental advice on lease agreements and lessee obligations.
Internally, we also offer guidance and direction on environmental communications with input into risk management strategies, community engagement and media responses.
Tonsley Village environmental management
As with any residential development on land that was not previously zoned residential land, Renewal SA has undertaken an environmental site contamination audit ahead of Peet Limited commencing development of Tonsley Village. The audit confirmed that the site is suitable for the residential development.
This environmental audit requires ongoing monitoring of the environmental conditions to ensure there are no unexpected changes. Renewal SA's continued commitment under this environmental audit, including regular testing of ground water and soil vapour, is currently undertaken every year in accordance with the Auditor-endorsed, updated Environmental Management Plan (EMP).
The latest test results concluded that no additional actions are considered necessary and the risk profile has not changed.
For further information, please refer to the letter to residents or download the latest report below.
Results and reports prior to May 2022 are available on request