The upgrade of the north-western Park Lands opposite Bowden was given the green light after approval from Adelaide City Council.
The plans include play areas, a youth space featuring a skate area, barbecues, tennis and basketball courts, upgraded paths and lighting and a community garden. Through support from the City of Charles Sturt we have included a dedicated youth space and skate area, with design input from local skaters to ensure we got the design right.
Specifically, the upgrades include:
- a car park with about 40 spaces to serve the soccer club and other park visitors
- an area of community gardens
- an avenue of large gums along Park Terrace
- a multipurpose youth space with skating facilities
- tennis and basketball courts
- shared use pathways connecting Bonython Park to North Adelaide Railway Station
- recreation areas with shade and seating.
The $4 million upgrade project is funded and led by the state government through Renewal SA, with support from Adelaide City Council and the City of Charles Sturt. The City of Charles Sturt is contributing $150,000 towards the cost of the youth space / skate area.
An invitation for community members to get involved
A community garden will also be designed with input from the community who will be using this space.
We are seeking community partners to develop a detailed design and management plan for the establishment of a new community garden in the Adelaide park lands opposite the Bowden development.
Interested community members can find out how to express their interest in getting involved in the community garden on the Adelaide Park Lands Upgrade project page.