Bowden booms with two new townhouse developments and a growing business neighbourhood
Renewal SA is forging ahead with two new Green Star rated developments at Bowden as the precinct continues to deliver important housing supply and stimulate economic growth for South Australia.
- The first stage of the Tapestry development—comprising 20 of 24 townhouses—has now hit the market and will enable those eager to purchase their own piece of Bowden to buy in advance, off-the-plan
- Development & Advisory has signed on to deliver a further townhouse development next year, comprising 22 dwellings that will be built in partnership with Metricon Homes and achieve a coveted 6 Star Green Star rating.
Bowden Project Director Shane Wingard said the precinct had experienced significant demand over the past 12 months and that the two newest townhouse developments reflected the surge of interest in Bowden as more South Australians sought to enter the housing market and live close to the city.
“We have been implementing a deliberate strategy to stay agile and adaptive, and both the Tapestry development and our latest townhouse project with Development & Advisory are reflective of our new focus on boutique-scale townhouses, capitalising on current demand,” he said.
“The evolution of Bowden into a holistic neighbourhood where people can not only live but work is also continuing as we attract an increased number of businesses and future employers, including Green Leaves Early Learning Centre, Bowden Brewing and Caro Club, to name a few.
“Our envisaged retail strip along Third Street, which will become the commercial heart of Bowden, will further elevate the neighbourhood as a hub of employment as well as sustainable living.”
It is anticipated that by this time next year, the majority of the south-western quarter of the former Clipsal precinct will be under construction, demonstrating the significant momentum underway at Bowden and the speed at which expansion is now taking place.
Renewal SA General Manager of Project Delivery and Property Todd Perry said the latest announcements—coupled with the release-to-market of the historic former Gasworks site— demonstrated an unparalleled level of interest in Bowden to date.
“The current energy around Bowden—sparked by the rich opportunities the precinct has afforded both the development sector and prospective home-buyers—represents everything we are working to achieve through this remarkable project, namely the delivery of a thriving and sustainable residential community and the growth of industry and our economy,” said Todd.
Bowden is considered an exemplar infill development that boasts a highly diverse and innovative range of housing models, from higher-end, multi-storey apartments and free-standing townhouses such as 354 Bowden and the Guild Terraces to affordable and not-for-profit dwellings such as Nightingale Bowden.
In addition to the strong momentum building in housing development at Bowden, it is anticipated that the redevelopment of the former Gasworks site will also gain considerable traction next year as four shortlisted developers currently work to produce draft masterplans, with Renewal SA aiming to select a preferred proponent by the end of the year and works to commence on site in the later part of next year.
BOWDEN’S LATEST GREEN STAR RATED TOWNHOUSE DEVELOPMENTS
- The Tapestry development at Bowden is being developed by Renewal SA in partnership with Centina, with information about the market release now available at https://lifemoreinteresting.com.au/buy/now-selling/tapestryatbowden/
- 75% of stage one have now sold out, with only five stage townhouses remaining
- Twenty-four Torrens titled townhouses will ultimately be built on the corner of Drayton Street and Second Street, with the first 20 townhouses now available for sale as part of a ‘Stage One’ release
- Four of the 24 townhouses will be offered as Affordable Housing via a shared equity scheme at a later date, enabling lower income earners to purchase a two-bedroom Tapestry home at an affordable price-point
- Studio Nine Architects has designed the 5 Star Green Star rated townhouses, applying Environmentally Sustainable Design principles and introducing textured brickwork and metalwork in homage to Bowden’s industrial history
- Inter-connected courtyards allowing residents to enjoy the outdoors in all seasons, as well as small ground floor offices to enable working-from-home arrangements and two-storey internal voids to create a feeling of space, are all defining features of these outstanding homes.
TOWNHOUSES BY DEVELOPMENT & ADVISORY
- Confirmed as the preferred developer for 2,450m2 of land on Third Street, Development & Advisory has put forward an experienced team including Metricon Homes and Studio Nine Architects to deliver Bowden’s sixth townhouse development, and the first since Bowden’s pivot towards medium-density living
- The development will be the second 6 Star Green Star rated housing project at Bowden, following the Prince’s Terrace which became the first multi-unit residential complex in Australia to receive the rating in 2017
- Townhouses are expected to go on sale off-the-plan in mid 2022, with construction anticipated to begin in late 2022.